Grant program guidelines for FY2014 are now available.
Access FY 2014 Grant Program Guidelines Online
Read more about the Native American Library Services program on the IMLS website.
Webinar with Program Staff:
We invite you to participate in this pre-application webinar to learn more about the Native American Library Services Enhancement Grants program, ask questions of IMLS staff members, and listen to the questions and comments of other participants.
The webinar for the FY14 Native American Library Services Enhancement Grants program has already occurred. Access the transcript in our Webinar Archives.
Enhancement Grant projects may enhance existing library services or implement new library services, particularly as they relate to the following goals in the updated Museum and Library Services Act (20 U.S.C. §9141):
(1) Expanding services for learning and access to information and educational resources in a variety of formats, in all types of libraries, for individuals of all ages in order to support such individuals’ needs for education, lifelong learning, workforce development, and digital literacy skills
(2) Establishing or enhancing electronic and other linkages and improved coordination among and between libraries and entities for the purpose of improving the quality of and access to library and information services
(3) (A) Providing training and professional development, including continuing education, to enhance the skills of the current library workforce and leadership, and advance the delivery of library and information services, and
(B) Enhancing efforts to recruit future professionals to the field of library and information services
(4) Developing public and private partnerships with other agencies and community-based organizations
(5) Targeting library services to individuals of diverse geographic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds, to individuals with disabilities, and to individuals with limited functional literacy or information skills
(6) Targeting library and information services to persons having difficulty using a library and to underserved urban and rural communities, including children (from birth through age 17) from families with incomes below the poverty line (as defined by the Office of Management and Budget and revised annually in accordance with section 9902(2) of title 42) applicable to a family of the size involved
(7) Developing library services that provide all users access to information through local, state, regional, national, and international collaborations and networks
(8) Carrying out other activities consistent with the purposes of the Library Services and Technology subchapter of the IMLS statute (20 U.S.C. §9121).
Indian tribes, Alaska native villages, regional corporations, and village corporations are eligible to apply for funding under the Native American Library Services grant program. Entities such as libraries, schools, tribal colleges, or departments of education are not eligible applicants, although they may be involved in the administration of this program and their staff may serve as project directors, in partnership with an eligible applicant.
For purposes of funding under this program, "Indian tribe" means any tribe, band, nation, or other organized group or community, including any Alaska native village, regional corporation, or village corporation (as defined in, or established pursuant to, the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (43 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.)), which is recognized by the Secretary of the Interior as eligible for the special programs and services provided by the United States to Indians because of their status as Indians. A list of eligible entities is available from the Bureau of Indian Affairs, except for the recognized Alaska native villages, regional corporations, and village corporations, which should refer to applicable provisions in the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act, referenced above.
Note: Enhancement Grant applications are eligible for review only if you will have an active Native American Library Services Basic Grant in the same fiscal year.