Application: The Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) for FY 2018 (PDF, 295KB) is now available.
Grant Amount: $6,000 - $10,000
Cost Share Requirements: Cost share is not allowed
Grant Period: One Year
Program Overview: The goal of the FY 2018 Native American Library Services Basic Grants Program is to support existing library operations and maintain core library services. Effective for this FY 2018 Native American Library Services Basic Grants Program, there is no separate Education/Assessment Option. Funding for tribal library staff to: attend library-related continuing education courses or training workshops; attend or give presentations at conferences related to library services; and/or hire a consultant for an onsite professional library assessment can be included in the Library Services Plan. No more than $3,000 may be allotted for education/assessment activities or travel. For this FY 2018 Native American Library Services Basic Grants Program, Basic Grants are only available for a one year period.
Eligibility: Indian tribes are eligible to apply for funding under the Native American Library Services Basic Grants Program. Entities such as libraries, schools, tribal colleges, or departments of education are not eligible applicants, although they may be involved in the administration of this program and their staff may serve as project directors, in partnership with an eligible applicant.
For purposes of funding under this program, “Indian tribe” means any tribe, band, nation, or other organized group or community, including any Alaska native village, regional corporation, or village corporation (as defined in, or established pursuant to, the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (43 U.S.C. 1601 et seq.)), which is recognized by the Secretary of the Interior as eligible for the special programs and services provided by the United States to Indians because of their status as Indians. A list of eligible entities is available from the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
To be eligible for this program, you must be able to document an existing library that meets, at a minimum, three basic criteria: (1) regularly scheduled hours, (2) staff, and (3) materials available for library users.
For questions about project activities, eligibility, and allowability of costs, contact:
Dr. Sandra Toro, Senior Program Officer
For questions about application requirements and deadlines, contact:
Chelsea Cole, Program Specialist
Grant Program Webinars:
We invite you to participate in pre-application webinars to learn more about the program and ask questions.
- FY2018 Native American Library Services Basic Grants Pre-application General Webinar 1: Tuesday, January 9, 2018, 2:00p.m. to 3:00p.m. Eastern
- FY2018 Native American Library Services Basic Grants Pre-application General Webinar 2: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, 3:00p.m. to 4:00p.m. Eastern
- FY2018 Native American Library Services Basic Grants Pre-application General Webinar 3: Thursday, January 18, 2018, 4:00p.m. to 5:00p.m. Eastern
- FY2018 Native American Library Services Basic Grants Budget Webinar: Tuesday, January 23, 2018, 2:00p.m. to 3:00p.m. Eastern
- FY2018 Native American Library Services Basic Grants Performance Measures Webinar: Thursday, January 25, 2018, 3:00p.m. to 4:00p.m. Eastern